of The Brown House
Volunteer Renovation Project
Glen Farm - Portsmouth, RI
"The Front Porch of Portsmouth"
History & Stories
The Leonard Brown House is a home which was built and utilized as a farm house for Mr. Leonard Brown in the mid 1800’s . Mr. Brown worked as a wheelwright and blacksmith until he acquired his father in law’s farm. By 1888 Mr. Brown was known as one of the best farmers in Portsmouth. Mr. Brown’s Farm was purchased by Henry A.C. Taylor in 1902. The home was used as a support residence for Glen Farm until the early 1950’s when the Taylor family began renting it out as income property. The home remained a rental property until 1988. The Town of Portsmouth bought the property in 1989.
|| Barbara Taylor Renza is the
granddaughter of Mr. & Mrs. Moses Taylor, once owners of the
Gerry Leis and Mary Lou Lemieux are the daughters of Manuel Camara who worked on the Farm for over sixty years and at retirement was the Glen Farm Foreman.
Gerry was born in the house and Mary Lou's wedding reception was in the back yard.
Portsmouth's Town Administrator Robert Driscoll's grandfather once lived in the house.
Mary Lou (Camara) & Paul Lemieux in back of the Brown House - 1945
Paul Lemieux in back of the Brown House - 1945
Mary Lou (Camara) Lemieux, back entrance to the Brown House - 1945
Glen Farm once produced its own milk. These photos are of a remaining bottle.
|Funding & Construction|
|News and Updates||How can YOU Help?||Sponsors/Gifts/Grants|
To On Aquidneck's home page